When it comes to creating a great fantasy book cover, the fonts you work with are paramount to the cover’s success.
Table of Contents
See the graphic below to find the name of the font you like and then find it online. Most of these fonts are free for noncommercial use.
Once you have your title and fonts, you can create a book cover
Why do fantasy book cover fonts matter?
Before I explain why book cover fonts matter, let’s be very clear:
Don’t design the cover yourself.
You should not design your own covers unless you have professional training in graphic design and extensive book cover design experience.
When you go to an interview or a date, do you design your own clothes?
Treat your book cover the same way.
OK, now let’s dive into fonts.
When you see a title on a book cover, you might think you’re just reading the words. but it is not the truth.
Your brain absorbs lettering as an art form.
This is typography: the artistic design of the letters themselves.
Even before you read the title, your thoughts start.
In fact, your subconscious mind makes some quick judgments based on the typography of each book:
- Does it look professional or amateur?
- Is this for someone like me?
- Is it serious or funny?
- Will it be easy to understand?
- Is it written by a master?
If all these requests are fulfilled, you can rest assured you have a great fantasy book cover.
What font size is used in fantasy books?
There is no specific font size that is used in all fantasy books. The font size is often determined by the publisher and can vary based on the specific design choices for the book. Some fantasy books may use a smaller font size to save space and allow the book to be more compact, while others may use a larger font size for easier reading or to make the text more prominent on the page. The font size can also vary based on the specific font that is used, as some fonts may appear larger or smaller at the same point size due to their design.
What are some magical fonts?
There are many fonts that could be considered “magical” due to their ornate or decorative style, or because they are inspired by mythical or fantasy themes. Some examples of magical fonts for a fantasy book cover might include:
- Dragonfire: a font with a fiery, dragon-inspired design
- Enchanted: a font with a fairytale-like, handwritten style
- Sorcerer: a font with a medieval, magical feel
- Dark Crystal: a font inspired by the fantasy world of Jim Henson’s Dark Crystal
- Harry P: a font based on the lettering from the Harry Potter series
- Lordish: a font with a Lord of the Rings-inspired design
- Magic School: a font with a playful, Hogwarts-like style
- Mystic Garden: a font with a floral, enchanted garden theme
- Mythical: a font with a mythical, ancient Greek feel
- Wizards Magic: a font with a wizardly, magical design
These are just a few examples, and there are many other fonts that could be considered magical as well and should work perfectly for your fantasy book cover.
How do I make my fantasy book stand out?
There are many ways you can make your fantasy book stand out in the crowded market. Some ideas might include:
- Develop a unique and engaging story: The most important aspect of any book is the story it tells, so focus on crafting a compelling and original tale that will keep readers engaged.
- Create memorable characters: Strong, well-developed characters can help your book stand out and make it more memorable to readers.
- Use vivid and descriptive language: Rich, descriptive language can help bring your fantasy world and characters to life and can help make your book more immersive and engaging for readers.
- Experiment with structure and format: Consider using unconventional storytelling techniques or formatting to give your book a fresh and distinctive feel.
- Hire a professional editor: A good editor can help you polish your work and ensure that it is the best it can be.
- Create a strong fantasy book cover and title: The cover and title of your book are often the first things that readers see, so make sure they are eye-catching and representative of your story.
- Build a platform and engage with readers: Use social media and other online platforms to connect with potential readers and build buzz for your fantasy book cover.
- Seek out reviews and recommendations: Good reviews and recommendations from trusted sources can help your book stand out and reach new readers.