Because many of our customers asked us lately for some magazine covers ideas. Here are some general, and some not-so-general tips you should keep in mind when designing your next magazine cover.
Table of Contents
What makes a good magazine cover design?
A good magazine cover design should be visually appealing, attention-grabbing, and effectively convey the theme or tone of the magazine issue. It should also prominently feature the magazine’s title and issue number, as well as any other relevant information such as the date of publication or the names of featured authors or articles. Additionally, a good cover design should be appropriate for the magazine’s target audience and should be consistent with the magazine’s overall aesthetic.
Here are some magazine covers ideas:
- A close-up photograph of a person’s face with a bold and impactful headline that relates to the theme of the magazine or the content of the issue. For example, a woman’s face with the headline “Breaking Barriers” for a magazine about women’s empowerment.
- An illustration or graphic of an object that relates to the magazine’s theme, such as a globe for a magazine about travel or a paintbrush for an art magazine.
- A composite image that combines multiple photographs or illustrations to create a striking and visually interesting design.
- An abstract or minimalist design that uses color and shape to create a powerful image.
- A design that incorporates a photograph of a landscape or cityscape that relates to the magazine’s theme, such as a city skyline for a business magazine or a mountain range for a magazine about adventure sports.
- A cover that features a photograph of a group of people that represents the magazine’s target audience, such as a group of diverse women for a women’s magazine or a group of young people for a lifestyle magazine aimed at millennials.
- A design that incorporates a hand-drawn illustration or lettering art, which can be a nice way to showcase a theme or title of the magazine and make it stand out.
What should be on a magazine cover design?
If you want to design a magazine cover, keep in mind that a magazine cover should typically include the following elements:
- The title of the magazine: This should be prominently displayed and easily readable.
- The issue number: This helps readers identify the specific issue they are holding.
- The date of publication: This tells readers when the issue was released.
- Images or graphics: A cover design should be visually appealing, and often incorporates photography or illustration related to the magazine’s theme or content.
- Names of featured authors or articles: This can entice readers to read specific content in the issue.
- Additional information such as price or volume, secondary title or subtitle
- Branding elements like logotype, tagline, etc.
It should be noted that the specific elements used on a magazine cover will depend on the magazine itself, and the design can vary widely across different publications.
Here are the top 6 magazine covers of all time
There are many great magazine covers that have been created over the years, and different people may have different opinions on the “best” covers of all time. However, some magazine cover designs that are often considered to be among the best include:
- Time magazine’s “Man of the Year” issue from December 31, 1999, featuring Albert Einstein.
- Rolling Stone magazine’s January 22, 1981, issue featuring John Lennon, which was released just after his murder.
- The New Yorker’s October 29, 2018, issue featuring a cartoon of a sobbing Donald Trump with the caption “Blowhard”
- The first issue of LIFE magazine from November 23, 1936, featuring a photograph of the Fort Peck Dam.
- The Economist “The World in 2021” issue from December 12th, 2020
- Vanity Fair’s Hollywood issue from March 1995, featuring a photograph of a group of top actors and actresses from the time.
Again, this is not a definitive list, and there are many other magazine covers that could be considered among the best of all time.
How do I make an interesting magazine cover?
As a magazine cover maker, here are a few tips on how to create an interesting and effective magazine cover design:
- Understand your audience: Before you begin designing your cover, it’s important to understand who your magazine is targeted at. This will help you make design choices that are appropriate for your audience and will help ensure that your cover resonates with them.
- Be bold: Your cover should be attention-grabbing and bold in order to stand out on the newsstand or in someone’s feed. A strong image or headline can be enough to make a cover interesting and make people want to read more.
- Use a visually striking image: The cover should feature a striking or evocative photograph or illustration that relates to the theme of the magazine or the content of the issue.
- Use typography effectively: Use a clear and easy-to-read font, and consider the layout of the typography on the cover. Use typography to complement the image, not to compete with it.
- Create a consistent aesthetic: The cover should be consistent with the overall aesthetic of the magazine, in terms of both the design and the tone.
- Have a clear hierarchy of information: Make sure that the most important information (magazine title, issue number, date of publication) is prominently displayed and easy to read.
- Experiment with different design elements and layouts: Play around with different design elements and layouts until you find one that works. Try different color palettes, typography, and images to find the combination that feels right for your magazine.
- Seek feedback: Get feedback from other people on your cover, and consider how your design might be improved.
- Consider trends and current events: Take inspiration from current events, popular culture, art and design, etc., but also innovate and think out of the box.
- Edit mercilessly: Once you have a design, be prepared to eliminate elements that are not essential to the design. Less is often more when it comes to cover design.