Here are the steps you need to take in order to start creating your own software boxes:
1. Install Adobe Photoshop (CS3or CS4 recommended)
If you don’t have Adobe Photoshop on your computer, download the CS4 trial version (works for 30 days) from here.
2. Create the following folder on your hard disk:
3. Download and install the action script from here
(if you have already installed Photoshop, installing the action is a simple matter of dragging the file over the Photoshop window, or a double click on the action file in Windows Explorer)
In the Actions palette you should have a new folder called Software Box(1)
4. Select Step 1 and click on Play(>). This will create the flat layout of your box with distinctive front side, top flap and left flap.
5. Finalize your box design and click on Step 2 – Play
6. Add/remove shadow/reflection and then click on Step 3 – Play to save the software box (you will find the images in c:\AbsoluteCovers.com\output folder)
Send us some samples of your designs, if they are good, we might hire you!
Here is a video detailing some of the steps:
PS: You can view some software boxes created with this action script here.
PPS: If you don’t have Adobe Photoshop, you can buy a cover creator from here.